On 9 May 2014, LCCT officially closes, a new Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (KLIA2) is built to replace the LCCT with bigger & better facilities. As a result, the info posted on this website is no longer applicable to the new KLIA2. Visit www.klia2.info for latest info on the new klia2 terminal.

A(H1N1): Toddler among 11 new cases, total now at 91

Thursday June 25, 2009

A nineteen-month-old toddler is among 11 new cases in the country confirmed with having Influenza A (H1N1), said Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai, with total number now at 91.

The toddler, the 84th case, had been among those placed under home quarantine after having been found to have had contact with the 72nd confirmed case in the country.

The 72nd case was an 11-year-old Indonesian boy who arrived at the Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) at Kuala Lumpur International Airport on board AK 702 on Monday at 1:55pm.

Liow said the toddler was warded at the Seremban Hospital on Tuesday after developing a cough and test results the next day confirmed the presence of the virus.

"However the child's three other family members who were also quarantined have tested negative for the flu," he told a press conference after handing out excellence service awards to 535 Health Ministry staff here Thursday.

The minister said the three locally transmitted cases and eight imported cases had brought the total number of cases now to 91 but 35 of the patients had since recovered and been discharged from hospital.

He said 58 of the contacts of the imported cases had already been placed under quarantine and the ministry was currently tracing all other contacts.

He said one of the three locally transmitted cases involved a foreign student in Kuala Lumpur while three of the imported cases involved foreigners from Ireland, Australia and the Philippines.

The foreign student is a 24-year-old Yemeni studying at a private institute and living in Kuala Lumpur, who had contact with the 63rd confirmed case on Tuesday involving a Yemeni on holiday here.

He was warded at the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Tuesday and test results the next day confirmed him as the 83rd case.

The third locally transmitted case involved a 24-year-old woman who was in contact with the 74th confirmed case on Tuesday.

She was admitted at the Sungai Buloh also on Tuesday and results the same day confirmed her to be the 90th case.

Imported cases include a 27-year-old woman returning from a holiday in Thailand with 10 friends on board flight AK823 that landed at the LCCT at 10am on Sunday, who then flew to Penang on board flight AK5368 that landed at 4:30pm the same day.

The woman, the 81st case, developed a fever while in Phuket but only sought treatment at a private clinic after returning to Penang and was admitted at the Penang Hospital on Monday; her infection was confirmed on Wednesday.

A 29-year-old friend of hers, who went for the same trip to Thailand, started to develop a fever and cough on Monday and was admitted to the Alor Star Hospital on Tuesday before being confirmed as the 86th case the next day.

Four of those who had contact with the two friends have been placed under observation also at the Alor Setar Hospital after developing flu-like symptoms.

A 26-year-old Australian women who arrived at the Kuching Airport on board the Jetstar flight 3K529 on Monday became the 82nd case when she was admitted at the Kuching General Hospital after scanners at the airport picked up an elevated body temperature.

The 84th case involved a nine-year-old Malaysian living in Cyprus who came here to spend the holidays with his father, on board flight EK346 that landed at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) at 6pm on June 20.

He started to complain of a cough and fever on June 22 and sought treatment at the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre (UMMC) the next day where he was confirmed positive for the flu the next day.

Eight of his family members have since been placed under home quarantine.

The next case involved a six-year-old Irish girl who came to Penang on holiday on board the Silk Air flight MI358 at 8:30pm on June 20 but spent her time at a relative's house there.

She started to suffer from fever and cough early Tuesday morning and was sent to Adventist Hospital at 8am before being referred to Penang Hospital where she placed in the isolation ward.

She tested positive the next day and 11 of her contacts — including three family members travelling with her — have been placed under home quarantine.

A 21-year-old Malaysian visiting Australia was identified as the 87th case after he returned on Sunday on board flight D7 2723.

He developed a fever a day after returning and sought treatment at the Sungai Buloh Hospital on Tuesday where he was placed in the Isolation Ward and tested positive on Wednesday.

Another confirmed case was a 21-year-old Filipina who arrived at the LCCT at 12:30pm on Wednesday on board flight AK501 but the Health Ministry is still gathering information regarding the case.

The 91st case involves the 17-year-old son of Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Peter Pang.

He was on a six-month visit to Melbourne and returned on June 20 on board flight MH 128 and was in transit at KLIA before boarding flight MH 2074 to Kota Kinabalu.

He was warded at Sandakan Hospital on June 23 after suffering from flu-like symptoms for two days and confirmed for having the flu on June 24.

All the confirmed cases are being treated with anti-viral medication and are in stable condition while the Health Ministry is trying to trace all passengers seated within three rows of the patients and also flight crew.

This article is a verbatim copy of the original article from The Star.

(Visited 43 times, 1 visits today)