The Transit Visa is issued to applicants who wish to enter Malaysia on transit to other countries. Transit visa can be issued upon arrival for a stay of maximum of 120 hours (extension not possible).
The Transit Visa will be issued based on the following requirements, if
1) Passenger arrives and departs from the same point and not through any other points;
2) Holding confirmed onward ticket and all documents required for next destination.
Travellers on transit without leaving the airport precints and who continue their journey to the next destination with the same flight do not require a transit visa.
CONDITIONS FOR APPROVAL OF TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA (TWOV) FACILITY
1. Transit Without Visa (TWOV) cannot be given to visitors who do not possess visas from 3rd country of destination as follows:
- New Zealand
- United States of America
- South Korea
2. Transit Without Visa (TWOV) facility cannot exceed more than 120 hours (5 days).
3. TWOV facility is only available at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) and Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) entry points.
4. TWOV are to be given to visitors who fulfil the following:
- Valid national passport or internationally recognized travel document;
- Travel documents valid for more than 6 months from the date of entry
- A return ticket to country of origin
- Not listed in Immigration Department suspected list
5. There will be no extension of TWOV facility
6. Permanent residents and long term pass holders from other countries i.e Australia or New Zealand do not bound to regulations and conditions no (1) and (4 [iii]) only.
*If those on bridging (except Bridging visa E) or tourist visa fly with airlines other than Air Asia and Malaysia Airlines, they must apply for a visa prior to travelling.
*Those on Bridging Visa E are not eligible for a Transit Pass, must apply for a visa prior to travel.
TRANSIT WITHOUT VISA / TRANSIT PASS
Please be advised that with effect from 15 July 2010, visitors / travellers from Indian Sub-Continental (Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, India and Pakistan) with valid permanent resident status or valid long term permit of stay i.e students’ Visa or valid work permits from other countries such as Australia and New Zealand may be granted the transit facility without visa up to 120 hours in Malaysia.
These nationals however are responsible to show proof of their visa status without fail upon entry into Malaysia.
Transit pass will be granted at Kuala Lumpur International Airport and Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) Kuala Lumpur.
Citizens from above mentioned countries who hold any type of bridging visa and tourists visas from Australia are required to obtain visas prior to their travel to Malaysia.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
- Valid Passport
- Form IMM.47 (Print on both side of an A4 paper. Printing on 2 pieces of paper will not be accepted).
- 2 Passport size photographs
- Return or onward – journey traveling ticket
- Proof of sufficient funds in the form of endorsements of Foreign exchange in the passport.
Example of a transit visa
|Headquarters||Immigration Department Malaysia
Ministry of Home Affairs
Level 1-7 (Podium) No 15
Persiaran Perdana, Precint 62550 Putrajaya
|Operation Hour||8.00 am to 5.00 pm|